Monday, November 8, 2010

Graveyards, Eyeballs and HaloWEENIES!

October lent itself to a number of different opportunities for me to cook. And cook I did! It was such a blast making yummy food and incorporating a Halloween theme into the delicious dishes.

My first attempt at Halloween Cuisine came when I decided to throw a small dinner party at my apartment. After milling around the grocery store for WAY too long I finally decided to do a main course of vegetarian chili and appetizers of chips and dip and mozzarella balls.

I didn't get a good picture of the chili, but I topped each bowl with a crescent roll that was formed into a spooky looking Frankenstein/Ghoul face. Super easy to do... buy crescent rolls, flatten out the dough and form it into faces (you can cut out holes for the eyes and then use the dough balls as ears). The main course was definitely a hit.



The chips and dip needed a pick me up so I decided to do a layered dip and turn it into a spooky graveyard. I made my own guacamole and salsa and then purchased sour cream, spinach, and cheddar cheese. I made the layers and topped the mix with torn up spinach leaves to resemble grass. I then cut up pieces of pita bread into tombstone shapes and placed them on top. Very cute and very spooky. The mozzarella "eyeballs" were surprisingly easy and quick to make. I bought mozzarella balls from the olive bar at the local market and picked up some black olives as well. I cut little slices into the mozzarella balls and chopped off small circles of the black olives to resemble pupils. I just had to squeeze the circles into the cheese and the creepy creations came to life! Overall the dinner part was quite a success.

I also made an appetizer for a fun and spooky gathering at a friends house. HaloWEENIES! All you need to make these fun guys are 1 pack of little smokies, 1 pack of crescent rolls, and mustard. Cut the crescent rolls into strips and wind them around the little smokey. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, remove, and dot the mustard to make the mummy eyes. They are darling and delicious.


The Halloween fun is over, but Turkey time is just around the corner!

No comments:

Post a Comment